Saturday, December 19, 2009

If only I could get my hands on antivehicle mines...

Living in Canada snow's a foregone conclusion.

Owning a corner house, on a non-arterial road, the streets don't get plowed. Eventually there's enough of a snowpack on the road to bring the road's surface up to the height of the sidewalk - and that's when the "fun" begins.

I'm not sure if its the area I live in (mostly smaller, starter-type homes), but inevitably, someone drives on my sidewalk. That's annoying, especially if there happens to be fresh snow out on the sidewalk. So, on top of shovelling my driveway, and my 120ish feet of sidewalk, I now have to chip away at the packed snow/ice on the corner that people continually drive on. Tonight alone, this added about another hour to my shovelling.

I understand people cut the corner. Fine. It happens.

Its when people drive.. on my lawn.. I get annoyed. Its not rocket science, there's a foot and a half snowbank. I understand the sidewalk/road thing. I don't understand the.. "huh, I'll drive into this snowbank" bullshit. It's even funnier when you can follow the tire tred, and identify the instant as they're turning the corner that they realize they're going to hit the light standard that's a foot into my lawn. Good times. Generally these are fairly wide.. truck tires. You know the type of truck. Lifted 3/4 ton trucks with massive wheels, which my wife refers to as "small penis trucks".

Last spring, I cut a flower bed in the front lawn, the front edge of which could be in the "path of destruction" for some truck this winter. Fortunately, I was able to find a rock, about a foot and a half in diameter to guard that front edge with. Just big enough to be drug along with one of those trucks, bouncing around in the undercarriage.

Should be good times for the first person driving on my lawn this winter.

1 comment: